Join the dynamic, innovative atmosphere at ASI Doors, Inc., the leading manufacturer of high-performance door systems for cold storage, industrial and cleanroom applications. ASI provides a competitive salary as well as an excellent benefits package.
Summary: The Product Designer is responsible for supporting the design of new or modified products according to established engineering specifications. Utilize computer aided drafting techniques to perform applicable drafting work. Make required calculations to determine and establish acceptable standards of performance, material selection and type of construction. Prepare sketches or drawings, set up specifications and other pertinent design data for layout drawings. Work closely with engineering to analyze material costs and optimize designs for manufacturability. Opportunities to specialize in specific product applications with highly technical requirements. May support new product development activities as needed.
- Under the supervision of the Engineering Manager, Product Engineers, or Product Designer II’s
- Review design goals and specifications to develop working layouts and perform mathematical computations needed for product design. Develop necessary operating clearance and tolerances for all individual components.
- Perform preliminary and advanced work in development of working layouts and final master drawings, adequate for detailing parts and units of design for new proposals and current designs.
- Check design work of layouts, including form, fit, function, materials, specification callouts, geometrics, dimensioning, and other information as directed. Revise size, shape and arrangement of parts to create manufacturing drawings.
- Produce new and make modifications to existing product owner’s manuals and technical bulletins, etc., for all product lines as needed.
- Prepare Engineering Change Request/Notice (ECR/ECN) documentation for new product and existing product design changes and facilitate the ECR/ECN procedure through to completion.
- Create design studies, tolerance stack-ups, layouts, drawings, calculations, weight estimates, supporting documentation, etc., as needed to establish acceptable standards of performance, material selection and type of construction.
- Assist in construction and testing of prototypes. Prepare purchase requests and modify shop orders as needed for prototypes.
- Consider DFM & ASI manufacturing capabilities in all design projects.
- Perform liaison function between Engineering staff and all internal departments, including Purchasing, Quality Assurance, Sales, Production, Accounting, Metal Finishing and Assembly as needed.
- Work with Product Engineers, Quality and Service Departments to define problem areas and implement product improvements based on customer repair/performance concerns.
- Assist with the investigation and analysis of capital expenditure projects for manufacturing.
- Provide manufacturing support and investigate root causes to clearly identify opportunities for improvements.
- Assist with identifying and implement existing product redesigns and enhancements to meet customer needs.
- Work with sheet metal fabrication design, extrusion design and some plastics design.
- Assembly cell design.
- Implement part data into the ERP system (Item Masters, BOM’s, & Routings).
- Manage ERP shop order modifications for custom order implementation.
- Travel as needed to gather prototype field test data or support Sales and Field Service when necessary.
- Apply knowledge of mathematical formulas and physical laws and use conventional and computerized work aids to make calculations.
- Keep supervisor advised of work status, workload, problems, and progress as related to work assignments.
- Associate’s degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school.
SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS ETC:
- SolidWorks 3D and AutoCAD 2D software program skills. Able to work with Microsoft Office suite of software programs.
- Able to read and interpret documents such as customer blueprints, specifications and government standards.
- Ability to produce technical documents for ASI products in Microsoft Publisher from various digital formats, including owners’ manuals and field technical bulletins.
Our Mission: Achieving high performance by opening up our employees, partners, and customers to what’s possible for growth.
Our Values: Accountability, Service, and Integrity
If you are interested in being part of an exceptional team and making a difference, please send your resume along with salary requirements to email@example.com